Eclectic Muddlehood

How's this for a perplexing beginning? I am a great many things, but none of them are me. At least not in my entirety. This is the little corner where I attempt to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts as I muddle through being a wife, a mother and a woman... among other things.

Name:
Location: Virginia, United States

Here, in no particular order, is a short list of my parts from the mundane to the pretentious, some or all of which may surface in future attempts to work on the whole: wife, mother, doula, childbirth educator, writer, yoga student, homeschooler, amature organic gardner, kitchen witch, all-around foodie, spiritual truth-seeker, daughter, clutter-bug, complusive list maker, bibliophile, homemaker, friend, homebirth/natural birth advocate, impulse shopper, wine snob, knitter, artist, lover, sensuist, and email junkie (There may be more later, but that's it for now.)

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Milk For Two

I have at least five blog entries knocking around in my head, just dying to claw their way out onto the screen. But alas, they have yet to make it here. Mothering newborn twins is next to impossible. Add the toddler and you basically have daily chaos. I knew this was going to be challenging, but seriously... Here's the bottom line: This is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

There is a reason most people don't exclusively breastfeed their twins. Actually there are a lot. But most of them have nothing to do with a mother's physical ability to produce enough milk for both babies and everything to do with trying to function while also being required to nurse anywhere from 20 to 30 times a day. This is in addition to burping, changing diapers, feeding oneself and the toddler, and sleeping. (Just forget anything else that falls outside of that tiny list right there-- NOT GONNA HAPPEN!) So as I sit nursing once again while typing one handed, I can see the appeal of passing off partial feeding responsibility to another person in order to catch a break once in awhile and actually stretch and breathe.

It's a good thing I hate formula and formula companies with the insane blinding passion that I do. Otherwise I might actually be tempted. But as I look down at my baby son who is blooming handsomely on just his mother's milk, I know no matter how badly I may want that stretch and breath some days I'm going to keep on nursing them as long as I possibly can. Those other blog entries will make it up here some day and even if they don't, I'd rather have these beautiful breastfed twins to show for my time than a super active blog.

Time to go nurse the other one!

2 Comments:

Blogger Analisa said...

From a fellow exclusively-breastfed-twins mom. It gets better, it gets easier, and good for you! I could have written your post 2-1/2 years ago. Yet here I am today with a *fourth* child! (And SO enjoying that there is only one of him). {{{HUGS}}}

5:46 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I never managed exclusive BF, which is a long story in and of itself. Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment.

Sleep, after all, is for the weak.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home